When was the Ango’tmeq Nm’tginen created?
The motion to create a new directorate within the Mi’gmawei Mawiomi Secretariat was officially passed in November 2015 during the Mi’gmawei Mawiomi Meeting.
The work was being done for the past two or three years under the umbrella of Consultation & Accommodation, when the decision was made to reorient the directorates in terms of our Mi’gmaq priorities.
What is the role of the Ango’tmeq Nm’tginen?
The role of the Ango’tmeq Nm’tginen is to focus on, as the name of the directorate states, “taking care of our territory”; means ensuring safe and sustainable natural resource development in Gespe’gewa’gi. It also means encouraging Mi’gmaq citizens to exercise their rights to our land.
Why was the Ango’tmeq Nm’tginen created?
Our reality is that natural resources development projects have been ongoing in our territory for years and we, the Mi’gmaq, were not being consulted properly. We wanted to have a larger role in where and how development can occur in Gespe’gewa’gi, keeping in mind the current needs and well-being of our Mi’gmaq citizens as well as future generations.
What are the current goals/projects of the Ango’tmeq Nm’tginen?
- Developing and implementing the Gespe’gewa’gi Management Plan (GMP)
- Mi’gmaq fisheries governance: negotiating an agreement on Mi’gmaq fisheries that represents a modern-day expression of our Treaty rights to commercially fish in the waters of Gespe’gewa’gi
Here a list of information documents to download about the McInnis project
- Biodiversity management in the cement and aggregates sector
- Biodiversity Management Plan (BMP) Guidance
- CSI Guidelines on Quarry Rehabilitation
* Cement Sustainability Initiative (CSI)